Tuesday, January 7, 2014

So apparently my life is now over?

All because I got engaged and married at ages 22 and 24? Not sure if y'all saw the article going around Facebook the past couple of weeks, if not you can find it here. While this girl is just as entitled to her opinion as I am she's got me on the borderline of annoyed/ticked off. Which is probably what she wanted. To get people's attention both in a positive and negative light.

I'm not going to go through her entire list but will touch on a few. Let's start with number 1 shall we? Get a passport. Got one. Added a stamp since marriage and will be adding a few more this summer. Next. Find your thing--ok while I'm all about everyone finding their own "thing" but to what is the author referring? The thing that makes you tick, the thing that you're incessantly passionate about, the thing that drives you to be a better person, the thing that you can ALWAYS count on, the thing that has your back through thick and thin, that thing? Not only did I find my thing but I married that thing that happens to have an identity attached to it better known as Derik. I gained so much when I found my "thing". And in no way shape or form am I saying you should allow your happiness be dependent on another person. I was completely happy pre-meeting the hubs. After freeing myself from a terrible relationship.  I was completely self-sufficient and independent at 21---GASP---. Yes author, I was all of those things before the age of 23. The hubs just added to that happiness.

I think the point of the author's post was to tell everyone single women specifically, that once you get in the "cop out" known as a marital union your life is over, your marriage isn't going to last anyways, and hanging out in front of a window naked is much more productive than getting married. Sorry gal pal but my adventure has just begun and I can walk around our entire house nakey anytime I want to and not simply limit myself to a window! :) I also have a permanent make out partner and don't have to worry about catching some gross disease because I know where my husband has been. Also the suggestion to disappoint your parents? Really? Could that be a more selfish idea? Maybe her parents didn't support her in every way possible like mine did. I couldn't dream of actually trying to disappoint my parents. Get a haircut? Got one Friday, don't have to be married or single to do that.

Is marriage easy? He double hockey sticks no. It's not a land full of rainbows and butterflies 24/7. It's hard work, it's a job every. single. day. I think people don't realize that, that you're always having to work on your marriage. You have to make it priority over everything else or it's not going to work. Their should never come a time when a person should stop discovering who they are, stop challenging themselves, or stop their self-growing process in my opinion.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is married or not we shouldn't let other people's opinions or ideas give us thoughts or predispositions of how our lives are supposed to turn out. Last time I checked we don't have a looming timeline that has each milestone marked out just ticking away and punishing us for not meeting the "standards" of said timeline. The point is that God gave us this life to live it. We shouldn't waste our days trying to live up to standards that society has created. We should live it in our own way at our own pace. We should lead a life that will glorify our Lord and Savior and make him known to the world.

Ok end rant .

xo,
Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs