Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day

As I sit here on the couch writing this post a million and one things come to mind. I'm thankful for a day off of work, a great report from our vet visit this morning, and I'm looking forward to a day of shopping and getting my nails done with my mama. But today is much more than a Federal holiday, it has so much more meaning to me. Especially now.

My grandfather served in WWII he lost his brother during the war as well. My great uncle served, I have multiple cousins that have served, friends that have served and I am so grateful for their service. Memorial Day, July 13th, and Veteran's Day are all sentimental days for me. For different reasons.

July 13th, 2008-A day my world was changed forever and rocked off it's hinges. The memories of that day will be forever etched in my memory. July 13th, 2008 we received a phone call. I won't give you the entire play by play as I can remember every single detail as if it was yesterday. Down to the movie I was watching and the underwear I was wearing. I lost a best friend that day. A big brother. A hero. My dear friend, Pruitt Rainey was killed in action while serving in Afghanistan. It was the most American lives lost in an attack in years. He was killed on that Sunday and I had last talked to him the Thursday before. July 10th was the last conversation I had with him. He was scared, it was his last mission before coming home and he was worried he wouldn't make it. I assured him that I'm sure he would. He was scheduled to arrive back on American soil in August, we had a welcome home party date set. That phone call changed my world forever. I hit my knees and my dad fell right behind me and just held me and wept with me. My dad isn't one to cry.  Then friends gathered at our house off and on throughout the night. My parents house was always the center of all our gatherings in high school. We all just ended up there. My parents were so gracious in allowing all of their adopted children to sleep on their couches, eat their food, and even hang out while my sister and I weren't even there...weird maybe? That's just how our house was. It took two weeks for his body to get back to the states. His funeral was probably one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had. Hearing taps, the 21 gun salute, and watching his flag being presented to his Nana. All so surreal. Pruitt was an essential part of our group. He was the life of the party always. He was a big teddy bear. He was my protector, defender, and now he's my hero. It was five years ago that I lost this brother and best friend. But it honestly feels like yesterday. I'm so thankful to have known and loved Pruitt Rainey. I could go on for days about what an amazing guy he was. I will never ever forget him and his memory will live in my heart always.

Summer 2004

Christmas 2006

So y'all whenever Memorial Day or Veteran's Day comes around don't look at it as just a day off. Remember the sacrifices of those that we honor on those days. Those that serve our country currently those that keep our country safe and free. Those that have served our country in previous wars and those that gave it all. Also remember the family and friends that are serving too. Those that lose sleep at night worrying about their loved ones away at war. Those moms and dads that have to play both roles because the other is fighting for our freedom. Those like me, that have lost ones that they love laying down their lives so that we could be free.

xo.
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs