Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Engagement Story

Since the biggest event in our lives (this far) occurred this year I think it is pretty blog worthy. I'm kind of kicking myself for not entering the blog world sooner so I could document the entire wedding planning process. Where I never turned into a bridezilla, mom and hubs can attest to that I had my moments.

So we'll start with where it all began, our engagement. I like to know everything, every single detail. I don't consider myself a total type A personality like my sister but I will say I have type A tendencies. The hubs is well aware of that fact so he had to be pretty sneaky in order to pull off our engagement surprise. Friday, December 2nd, 2011 started off like any other Friday. I had my one class, hair, and nail appointment.--A lot of people speculated I knew it was coming solely because I had these appointments the same day of our engagement. Trust me folks had I known I would have not chopped all my hair off that day to begin the hair growing out process.-- We were heading to Derik's parents house for the weekend so I'm sure I was packing and running errands too. Finally Derik got off work and we waited around until it got dark as we were stopping through Tanglewood the festival of lights, it had become our tradition. After seeing all of the lights we began the last hour of our trip heading west. I sat in the front seat completely oblivious while at the time I had a boyfriend that was a nervous wreck. We finally arrived in Hickory after determining we did not need to stop at the grocery store to get garlic bread, the cue to let them know we were ten minutes away. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Greg and Kim (in-laws) and Jakey--(family dog) not out of the usual. Kim wanted us to come see the Christmas lights that they had put out by the pool. Apparently everyone was anxious except me because I was clueless. I went to the bathroom, wanted to sit down and chat with Kim, but instead was dragged outside in the cold to see Christmas lights. We walked outside a switch was flipped and I saw the fence light up with the words "marry me" in complete shock I turned around and saw my sweet husband on one knee. No speech was made--remember he's a man of few words--but he simply asked Sarah, will you marry me? Still in disbelief I almost walked backwards off the deck before tackling him with a hug! No one can really remember I verbalized a yes or not. We went inside celebrated with hot chocolate, tuxedo chocolate strawberries, cupcakes with engagement rings, phone calls, and friends! I'm so thankful to have such a thoughtful husband and in-laws who helped make our engagement so special.
My sister in law was hiding and snapped pictures, so thankful for that!! 
The proposal

In shock

Posing for a picture

Still in absolute shock and amazement

Yummy treats. 

That was one of the best weekends of my life, I don't think I stopped smiling for a minute. 

xo, 
Sarah

Next up in wedding recap...engagement session. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs